Monday, June 24, 2013

Post-Flop, Calling The Kettle "Black Metal," It Came From Me


The infamous "Peter Panda."
He loves laying on LP's for some cat reason.
I was thinking about whining a lot in this post and perhaps I will. But right now I am just enjoying some coffee and the company of cats. But I am listening to some records I recently acquired and right this moment I am listening to "Moving On The Edges of Things" by This Will Destroy You. It is a cool looking picture disc LP and I love that band so I decided to pick it up despite never hearing it. And I must say, I am mildly disappointed. It wasn't total garbage, but it was not what I was hoping for either. It was basically two tracks of ambient noise and drums here and there. There was not one guitar melody at all. It's only 2 songs so I thought maybe the other one would be the post-rock pit opener but I was not graced with that fortune. But oh diddly well, God Hates Us All.

"There is no spoon."
While typing that the record ended and I put on my new copy of "Two Hunters" by Wolves In The Throne Room. Was very excited to listen to this one on wax. I've never even heard the extended version of "Cleansing"  or the LP exclusive song "To Reveal." Part of me thinks it kind of honks when bands only release songs on certain mediums. But then again I know that by now someone has ripped the songs into digital formats and have released them for free. So really who gives a fuck? But otherwise it is getting me excited about playing tonight with my band Tristram. I am not certain, but I don't think I have played a show since the last Longing show back in April. Two months is quite a while for me to be show-less. I don't mind though because I know we have made ourselves a way better band in the past two months then we ever did the past two years. Which is pretty nuts to think about being a band for that long despite a long indefinite hiatus. I'd say we were a pretty big smoking pile of poop in the past but I think we may be finally getting our shit together. Kind of like when George Carlin gave Wyld Stallyn gear in "Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure" and they got their lady pals from medieval England to play drums and keyboards and they became the greatest band in the world. Just like that.

"It's...other worldly..."
And of course in order to have your shit together you have to get out and play shows. Which is one thing that has been bumming me out lately. I haven't toured in over a year now in any extensive way. And I have said it time and time again and I will continue to do so, but when it comes to music or anything you are passionate about, you have to shit or get off the pot. You can't half ass it, and you can't settle on yourself. I think anything you dedicate your life to should be fun and exciting. But I don't want to just sit around waiting for the good times to roll by themselves. I am excited about the few shows we have coming up, including a show on the East side of Michigan with the band Loma Prieta. But I am also mildly nervous about playing with these "bigger" bands. Simply because I know they will have way better gear then us and most likely be way tighter and more talented then us. I just find it disheartening sometimes that I can't afford to just have an amazing sound every time I play. But I know that we all have to pay our dues and work our way there but it's just frustrating sometimes. I wish I could just shit an Orange amplifier and two or four cabinets. It would be worth the pain of my anus being torn to shreds. It'd be worth it...


No comments:

Post a Comment